Frequently Asked Questions
Add a bank card
Remove a bank card
Huawei Pay is a mobile payment service launched by Huawei, in cooperation with partners, providing secure, convenient mobile payment services for Huawei device users. Huawei Pay allows you to pay with phones capable of QR Code, instead of using plastic bank cards. You can make secure and convenient payments, simply by scanning QR code or barcode against a contactless payment terminal or card reader.
To use Huawei Pay, download Wallet from AppGallery and install it, then add one or more bank cards.
Huawei Pay can be used for:
- In-store payments with a payment QR code (available in South Africa only)
- HUAWEI PAY will support all the merchant which are using Zapper as a payment method.
- All models of Huawei phones will be supported in South Africa.
- You may also use Huawei Pay to pay by scanning a code method.
- Before using Huawei Pay, please ensure that you have updated your phone and Wallet to the latest version.
- Some products may not be on sale in your country/region.
If you have lost your phone, perform any of the following operations to remove or suspend the cards that have been added to the Wallet as soon as possible:
- Log in to the Cloud website (cloud.huawei.com) using a computer, and click Settings in the upper right corner. From there, you can suspend or remove the added cards. A suspended card cannot be used on the phone. If you find your phone later, you can resume the card to continue using it.
- Log in to the Cloud website (cloud.huawei.com), go to Find My Phone, select your phone, and click Erase data.
Huawei Pay offers an easy, secure way to pay by using OR code method. The reasons are as follows:
- Your actual card number is not involved in transactions when you use Huawei Pay. A token (Device card number) is used instead. Therefore, your actual card number is not stored on your phone, nor on Huawei Pay servers, and is not shared with the merchant either.
- Every transaction requires fingerprint, face, or Payment PIN authentication.
- During payment, Huawei Pay doesn't retain any transaction information that can be tied back to you.
- The cards added to Huawei Pay receive the same fraud protection from your bank as your physical bank cards.
For security reasons, a Device card number (also known as a virtual card number) will be generated for each bank card added. A different Device card number may be generated for the same physical bank card each time it is added to your phone.
Note that the bank card number printed on the in-store payment receipt is the Device card number, not the actual number of your physical bank card. It is not necessary to know the Device card number. If a refund is required, just tell the cashier to target the return transaction to the card on which the original payment was made and contact with Zapper hotline.
To learn the complete Device card number, contact the bank's customer service.
Huawei Pay can be used for:
- In-store payments with a payment QR code (only available in South Africa)
- In-app purchases (to be launched)
Before using Huawei Pay, ensure that you have updated your phone and Wallet to the latest version.
- Open Wallet and log in with your HUAWEI ID. If you do not yet have a HUAWEI ID, follow the onscreen instructions to register one.
1. The service area of your HUAWEI ID must be the same as the country / region where you use Huawei Pay. To check or change the HUAWEI ID service area, open AppGallery and go to .
2. If you have added bank cards to Huawei Pay in other country / regions, it may lead to a failure when you add cards in the current country / region. If this occurs, please contact Huawei hotline 0860 861111.
- Touch the plus sign (+) to add a bank card.
- Scan your bank card or enter your card number. Then fill in all the required fields, such as expiry date and security code.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to set a security phone number, Payment PIN, and security question.
If this is the first time a bank card is added, you need to complete some security settings.
For better security, bank cards added to Huawei Pay are associated with both your HUAWEI ID and the phone on which they were added. To use your bank card on a different phone, you need to add it to Huawei Pay again on that phone.
All South African banks are supported.
Scenario: Scanning the in-store QR code
- Open Wallet, touch Scan at the top of the screen, and scan the QR code displayed by the merchant.
- Confirm or enter the payment amount. Reference information is sometimes displayed based on merchant conditions.
- Authenticate the payment with your fingerprint, face, or Payment PIN.
- There is 3D secure, which is the bank verification step, may be triggered during payment. The third-party page is displayed, requiring the user to enter the bank verification information. The payment can be completed only after the payment is approved.
Payments through a code are available only in certain countries / regions. If this feature is not yet available for your location, Payment code and Scan will not be present in the Wallet app.
When the payment is indicated to have been done on the phone, it means that Wallet has passed the payment information to the payment terminal. However, if your card issuing bank or organization rejects the transaction, due to the transaction limit being exceeded, an insufficient bank card balance, or the payment terminal not supporting Huawei Pay, the payment will fail. It is recommended that you use a different bank card or payment method. If you have concerns about your bank card, please consult your bank.
The transaction limit with Huawei Pay is determined by the bank, not by Huawei Pay. Contact your bank's customer service for assistance.
The bank card number printed on the payment receipt is the Device card number (also known as a virtual card number) generated by Huawei Pay, not the actual number of your physical bank card.
It is not necessary to know the Device card number. If a refund is required, just tell the cashier to target the return transaction to the card on which the original payment was made.
To learn the complete Device card number, contact the card issuing bank's customer service.
Password-free transactions are only possible when allowed by both your bank card and the payment terminal or card reader and when the transaction amount is within the transaction limit. The amount limit for password-free transactions with Huawei Pay is determined by your bank.
First, ensure that the Wallet has been updated to the latest version. Touch the card you want to remove, then touch the three-dot menu icon in the upper right corner, and select Remove. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the task.
- If you forget your Payment PIN, open Wallet, go to Settings > Security settings > Payment PIN, and touch Forgot PIN.
- Verify using security question and security phone number
Answer the security question (if set) and follow the onscreen instructions to reset your Payment PIN.
- Verify by reassociating bank cards
If you have associated any bank card for in-app purchases, you can reassociate it to verify your identity. Then, follow the onscreen instructions to reset your Payment PIN.
Payment PIN is one of the payment authentication methods set in Wallet. You can authenticate your payments with your fingerprint or Payment PIN. You may need to enter your Payment PIN when paying with Huawei Pay. Payment PIN is a unique password. It is not the same as your bank PIN, screen unlock password, or HUAWEI ID password.
Open Wallet and go to Settings > Security settings > Payment PIN. Touch Change PIN and enter your current password. Then, follow the onscreen instructions to set your new password.
Wallet encompasses Loyalty cards, Gift cards, Coupons, Access cards, and Bank cards, for easier access to smart life via your phone. Wallet has been preinstalled on certain models. You can also download and install it from AppGallery.
Some features are only available for certain models or countries / regions.
To set the fingerprint for HUAWEI Wallet quick pay, go to Wallet > Settings > General > Fingerprint. While your phone screen is turned off or locked, you can directly access the Wallet payment screen by verifying the fingerprint for HUAWEI Wallet quick pay. Note that verifying this fingerprint will not unlock your phone. You need to use a different fingerprint for unlocking your phone.
Wallet will open if the fingerprint sensor detects the fingerprint for HUAWEI Wallet quick pay (instead of the fingerprint for screen unlock).
You may have chosen the fingerprint for HUAWEI Wallet quick pay from among your enrolled fingerprints. This fingerprint can't be used to unlock your device, but will direct you to the Wallet payment screen. To unlock the screen, use the screen unlock fingerprint.
To change or disable the fingerprint for HUAWEI Wallet quick pay, go to Wallet > Settings > General > Fingerprint.
The fingerprint for HUAWEI Wallet quick pay allows you to quickly access the payment screen of Wallet when the screen is locked or off. This makes your in-store payments quick and convenient.
The screen unlock fingerprint works as an ID that allows you to access your phone when its screen is locked or turned off.
The fingerprint for HUAWEI Wallet quick pay allows you to quickly access the payment screen of Wallet when the screen is locked or turned off. This makes your in-store payments quick and convenient.