Statement About My HUAWEI and Privacy Notice
Last updated: 25 October, 2023
My HUAWEI application (“My HUAWEI”) is an app operated by HUAWEI TECHNOLOGIES AFRICA (PROPRIETARY) LIMITED, a company incorporated in accordance with the laws of the Republic of South Africa, with its registered office located at Building 16, Huawei Office Park, 124 Western Services Road, Woodmead, Johannesburg, South Africa. (hereinafter referred to as "Huawei", "we", "us", or "our")
We understand the importance of your privacy. Please take the time to read this Privacy Statement carefully to understand how we will use your personal information.
Our General Privacy Protection Policy can be found here: https://www.huawei.com/za/privacy-policy, and all terms and conditions contained herein will be in amplification of said policy and must be read together with it. Should there be any inconsistencies between this statement and the above-mentioned Policy, we reserve the right to finally determine which provision will apply.
By making use of My HUAWEI you consent to your personal information and/or data being collected, stored and further processed as is set out in more detail hereunder.
My HUAWEIis not intended for use by children under the age of 18. If you are aged under 18, you need your guardian to agree to your use of this App and agree to relevant terms thereof.
The contents and service of MY HUAWEI products may vary depending on the software version and mobile device you use. If some versions or devices (such as HUAWEI devices and non-HUAWEI devices) do not cover certain services or provide certain functions, the contents of this privacy statement that involve the services/functions and related personal information mentioned above will not be applicable. Contents and services of this privacy statement ONLY provided for HUAWEI devices are visible and applicable. If you download MY HUAWEI from Google APP store for your HUAWEI device, we will provide the same services as Non-HUAWEI devices and we process your device identifier (SN) to get your device Status and Benefits.
My HUAWEI requires Internet access and the permissionsto Storage(to store files and update My HUAWEI), Location(to recommend quick services available in your area), Camera (to check device benefits, service progress, adding of devices, Phone (to obtain your device identifier and let you check warranty status and request maintenance services; ONLY HUAWEI devices), and Calendar(to read calendar events and details and modify calendar), Smart Diagnosis is ONLY provided for HUAWEI devices, it requests permission to Storage, Location, Camera, Contacts, Messaging and Microphone to check the status of your hardware.
You can manage the permissions for My HUAWEI from system settings.
This Statement should be read together with our above-mentioned policy and describes:
7. How to unsubscribe from receiving marketing messages
1. What Data Do We Collect About You?
As part of My HUAWEI, we shall collect and use your personal information only for the purposes stated in this Statement. Personal information refers to any information that enables us to directly or indirectly identify you as a user and as defined in the Protection of Personal Information Act no 4 of 2013 as amended (“POPI”)
We will collect and process the following data:
(1) HUAWEI ID account information: if you log in using your HUAWEI ID, the nickname, email address, phone number and profile picture registered with that HUAWEI ID account will be shared with us by a Huawei affiliated company Huawei Services (Hong Kong) Co., Limited, who is the data controller of your HUAWEI ID.
(2) Contact details: name, email address, phone number, postal code, and postal address for the purpose of delivering a prize if you are a winner to a competition, to contact you and, as necessary, to arrange appointments and device delivery/collection, service supports and communicate with you for your inquiries.
(3) Order and delivery information: name, email, phone number, product(s) ordered, delivery address, postal code, billing address, and digital code if applicable. To process your order we will generate an order number and delivery number, and the delivery company will generate a tracking number.
(4) Payment information: such as cardholder name, card number, expiry date, email address, payment amount, SMS verification code. We do not retain sensitive payment information such as CVV code. To process your payment we will generate a payment number which will be sent to your mobile number for verification.
(5) Device details: device model, details of damage/fault, date of activation, device identifier (SN), proof of purchase, and IP address.
(6) Customer services information: your contact details, device model, order and delivery information, device identifier (SN), and a record of query by email,live chat (ONLY HUAWEI devices), web form (ONLY HUAWEI devices) and hotline or social media direct messages.
(7) Community participation information: posts, comments, likes, shares, private messages, achievements, following, followers, community level, points, and votes on our Huawei Community, and the information you provided in participating in activities on Huawei Community such as name, address, phone number, photos/videos, date of birth, identity information.
(8) Huawei Community membership information: nickname, user experience, rewards history and membership vouchers.
(9) Product reviews: HUAWEI ID, profile picture, and content of product reviews.
(10) Service usage information: Application Associated ID (AAID), Huawei ID, user ID, order number, IP, SN, session ID, user behavior records such as click activities, URL/pageview path, page access time, and so on.
2. How Do We Use Your Data?
2.1 Business functions related to the store and community
To provide you with requested services and to fulfil our contractual obligations to you, we process the following data for the associated purposes. Unless otherwise stated in this Statement, you may no longer be able to enjoy the relevant service(s) if you refuse to the collection and processing of your personal information for these services.
(1) HUAWEI ID login: if you choose to log in using your HUAWEI ID, we process your HUAWEI ID account information to provide logged-in services. The HUAWEI ID, profile picture and nickname associated with your HUAWEI ID, will be displayed in your posts, messages, comments, likes and your other engagements in the Huawei Community.
(2) Online purchase and delivery: we process your order information and payment information to process your order, issue your invoice, deliver your items, and process returns. We do not retain sensitive payment information such as CVV code. In addition, when you purchase a point-rewarding product, the system will generate points based on your purchase amount. Your points can be used to deduct certain amounts in your next order.
(3) Receiving a notification: we process your email address to notify you when a requested item is in stock and available for purchase.
(4) If we conduct prize promotions or competitions on Huawei Community, your personal information is processed for the contract fulfilment (promotion or competition terms and conditions). Within the promotion or competition we only process the data you provide or that is necessary for the specific promotion or competition. This concerns in particular: user profile to determine the winner, contact details to transmit the prizes (e.g. name, address, e-mail address) and any additional information relevant to the promotion or competition.
(5) We process your HUAWEI ID, order information and community interaction behavior (such as likes and comments) to generate energy values, different energy values correspond to different membership levels, and different membership levels correspond to specific rights and interests.
On the basis of our legitimate interests, we process the following data for the associated purposes:
(1) Huawei Community participation: we process your HUAWEI ID account information and Community participation, if you participate in our Huawei Community, including participating in any promotions or competitions. Your uploaded content will be pre-screened or scanned for potentially content which is illegal, obscene, abusive, threatening, harassing, intimidating, hateful defamatory, objectionable, indecent, vulgar, pornographic, sexually explicit, offensive in a sexual, racial, cultural or ethnic way, inaccurate, deceptive, false, misleading, fraudulent, invasive of privacy, infringing of intellectual property rights, or otherwise harmful to third parties, or containing software viruses or any form of spam.
(2) Statistical and product improvement purposes: we use HUAWEI Analytics, Google Analytics, and Data Monitor and Period Analytics for understanding our users' needs and improve the quality and user experience of our current and future services and offerings.
(3) Contribution, comments, questions and opinions about products: we process your HUAWEI ID account information, as well as assessments, comments, questions and notices published on our product pages.
(4) Fraud prevention and monitoring: we process your HUAWEI ID account information, order information, payment information, information about returns, and device information to ensure the security of payment, detect and prevent theft, fraud, financial security hazards, and malicious network attacks.
(5) Business analysis and improvement: we process your order information, payment information and device information to measure and improve our services, to forecast stock management, for accounting analysis.
(6) Handling payment disputes: we process your HUAWEI ID account information and order information to facilitate the processing of disputed payments by the issuing bank.
(7) With your consent, we process your email address and/or phone number for marketing purposes, including customer satisfaction feedback surveys.
(8) If we have obtained your email address and/or phone number in connection with the sale of goods or services, we may use that email address for direct advertising of similar goods or services.
(9) If you use Huawei device and choose to save your card information, we retain your card information (Card No., Cardholder name, Card expiry date) which will be only used to complete your card payment directly inside My HUAWEI App or on our Website. We will not retain your sensitive verification code such as CVV or CVC. You can add, delete, modify, save and set default bank cards in the User Center of our website.
You can object to the use of your personal information for marketing purposes at any time. For further details how, please see Section 5.
You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time, without affecting the lawfulness of processing based on consent before your withdrawal.
In addition, we may process your personal information as necessary to comply with legal obligations, including tax and accounting requirements, and to establish or defend our legal rights and/or to prevent, detect and pursue potential fraud attempts or cyber-attacks.
2.2 Business functions related to the support
2.2.1 Repair Status queries, (benefits, services and spare part price queries ONLY for HUAWEI devices) we process your device identifier (SN) and HUAWEI ID information to enable you to track your repair status online. For HUAWEI devices, this information is also used to check your benefits and spare part price.
2.2.2 Cross-device management: we process your device identifier (SN, ONLY HUAWEI device)HUAWEI ID information to obtain your device information linked to your HUAWEI ID, to provide you with the cross-device management service between your different devices.
2.2.3 Search: we process your device identifier (SN) to display information related to your device. (ONLY HUAWEI devices)
2.2.4 Repair Service: we process your HUAWEI ID information, contact information and device information to make repair service bookings, including postal services and in-store services. For postal repair services, your contact information will be processed, enabling our logistics partner to collect and deliver devices from your address or selected collection points.
2.2.5 Online Help: we will use your contact details, device identifier (SN, ONLY HUAWEI devices) and chat histories to provide counseling services to you.
2.2.6 Warranty repairs: your device information and customer Services information are processed to verify whether the device is under legal warranty and repair it within the framework of the latter. (ONLY HUAWEI devices)
2.2.7 Smart Diagnosis: the Smart Diagnosis function detects exceptions on your device, provides troubleshooting solutions or suggestions, and reminds you of exceptions during daily use. When you use this function, we will request the permissions to storage, location, phone (device information), camera, contacts, messaging and microphone. When you use the diagnostic analysis function, please read Statement About Diagnostic Analysis and Privacy. (ONLY HUAWEI devices)
2.3 On the basis of our legitimate interests, we process the following data for associated purposes:
2.3.1 Business analysis and improvement: we process your HUAWEI ID information and device identifier (SN) to measure and improve our services, to forecast stock management, and to settle invoices from our suppliers.
2.3.2 Recommendations: we process your device identifier (SN) to recommend relevant services, offers and other information to you. (ONLY HUAWEI devices).
2.3.3 Customer service queries: we process your HUAWEI ID information, your contact information and customer services information to assist you with your questions and queries, orders, returns, troubleshooting, FAQs, and all other customer service enquiries.
2.3.4 Coupons: we will use your HUAWEI ID information to link the coupons to your HUAWEI ID, to enable you to verify and use the coupons you have.
2.3.5 Statistical and product improvement purposes: we use HUAWEI Analytics for understanding our users’ needs and improving the quality and user experience of our current and future services and offerings, and your personal information will be transmitted and stored anonymously.
2.4 On the basis of your consent or if you do not object, we process the following data for associated purposes:
2.4.1 Push notifications: we use your device information to send you information about our events and services. (ONLY HUAWEI devices)
2.4. 2 Surveys and questionnaires: we may use your device information and contact information to invite you complete customer satisfaction surveys and feedback questionnaires.
You can object to such processing as described in Section 5 below.
3. How Long Do We Store Your Data?
We will not retain your personal information longer than is necessary to provide you with our goods and services and to fulfil the purposes as set out in this Privacy Statement. This comprises in particular the following retention periods:
3.1 HUAWEI ID account information: we retain your HUAWEI ID account information until you deregister your account, until the service is suspended or your account is terminated for any other reasons.
3.2 Contact details: we retain your contact details for up to 24 months from the date of your last contact with us.
3.3 Order information: we retain your order information for 3 years from the date of your order, for the purposes of compliance with related laws and regulations. Except the digital code, if applicable, which is kept for 6 months following the execution of the delivery. For Non-HUAWEI devices, we retain your points and energy values for 1 (year) year and/or opt out.
3.4 We will not retain your Personal Information longer than is necessary to provide you with our services and to fulfil the purposes as set out in this Privacy Notice.
3.5 HUAWEI ID account information: We retain your HUAWEI ID account information until you deregister your account, until the service is suspended or your account is terminated for any other reasons.
3.6 Contact details: We retain your contact details for up to 24 months from the date of your last contact with us.
3.7 The Identification information for one  year for the purpose of providing the service for you to query the historical Competition Prize and Promotion information.
3.8 Customer service information: We retain your customer service information for up to 24 months from the date of your query, in order to be able to assist with your ongoing and recent enquiries.
3.9 Chat record, email content and hotline record will be retained for up to 180 calendar days from the date of your last contact with us.
3.10 Posts, comments, likes, private messages and votes on our Huawei Community are retained until you close your Huawei Community account or otherwise delete or withdraw the contribution.
3.11 Huawei Promotion or Competition information: information of promotion or competition/ claiming recipient (including name, phone number, post code, shipping address, email address, billing address, billing name), and based on which, we will process and verify your claim for the promotion or competition gift/ reward and proceed to action delivery of the promotion or competition gift/ reward will be retained for a period of 2 years.
3.12 Once the retention period expires, we will delete or anonymize your Personal Information, unless otherwise required by applicable law and regulations.
3.13 You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time, without affecting the lawfulness of processing based on consent before you withdraw.
3.14 Payment information: we retain your payment information for 7 years from the date of your purchase, for the purposes of compliance with tax and financial-related laws and regulations.
3.15 Device details: we retain your device details for 24 months from the date of your last contact with us or in conjunction with your HUAWEI ID account information during your registration. Except for the device identifier number generated by the payment service provider to process your payment, which will be kept for 7 years from the date of your purchase.
3.16 Appointment information to find a product in store (O2O): the information collected during your online appointment requesting for finding a product in off-line store will be kept for 1 month from the date of your request is successfully received.
3.17 Service usage information: we retain your service usage information for 2 years.
3.18 Reviews, ratings, comments, questions and reviews that you post on our product pages are posted on My HUAWEI under a pseudonym and will remain posted as long as My HUAWEI is active.
3.19 Trade-in Program information: your existing device information is retained for 24 months from the time it was collected, and other information processed under Trade-in will not be retained otherwise.
3.20 When you query the warranty and device identifier (SN), the relevant information will only be used for the current query and will not be stored.
3.21 When you use or manage your coupons, your HUAWEI ID information will be encrypted and stored on the server until you delete your HUAWEI ID. Your data will then be deleted immediately.
In relation to each of the retention periods above you can specifically request for earlier deletion by exercising your rights of objection and erasure under Section 5. Requests will be handled in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
4. How Do We Share Your Data?
4.1 Sharing with service providers:
We use intragroup and third-party service providers, including payment service providers, warehousing providers, store operators, customer service provider and repair companies. They will have access to your personal information only insofar as required to fulfil their contractual obligations to us. Our services providers have been carefully selected and commissioned by us, are bound by contractual obligations and will not process your personal information for any other purposes. If you use Huawei device, our payment service provider PayU has been carefully selected and commissioned by us, and bound by a contract. PayU will only process your card information to complete your payment.
4.2 Disclosure, transfer and storage of your Personal Information outside of the Republic of South Africa:
Your Personal Information generated during your visit to our Platform will be transferred to, processed and stored in Singapore by Huawei’s affiliate on behalf of us and under our instruction.
4.3 Disclosure with our affiliates
To conduct verification and conduct business analysis, the order information, device information and delivery information will be transferred to, processed and stored in China by Huawei’s affiliate on behalf of us and under our instruction and the protection of Personal Information processing agreement. Your Personal Information relating to your community activities will be transfer to Huawei Services (Hong Kong) Co., Limited for forum environment maintenance purposes.
To conduct service maintenance and business analysis, the necessary personal information will be transferred to, processed and stored by Huawei’s affiliate in Malaysia on our behalf under our instruction and the protection of Personal Information processing agreement.
4.4 Disclosure with our suppliers
To respond to the customer inquiries and deal with order related services, your personal information will be transferred to, processed and stored by our suppliers located in the Republic of South Africa and Singapore on behalf of us and under our instructions and the protection of relevant Personal Information processing agreements.
We procure suppliers, including Zendesk and Webpower, to help with the dissemination of the electronic communications. Your personal information will be transferred to, processed and stored by our suppliers in the European Union on behalf of us and under our instructions and the protection of relevant Personal Information processing agreements.
We use Google Firebase for Personal Information analysis and electronic communications. Your device information and service usage information will be transferred, processed and stored anonymously in United States of America by Google on our behalf.
EDM email for User survey or Marketing, Your personal Personal Information will be processed and stored by them in European Union.
Your Personal Information will be stored in data centers located in Singapore.
We only share your Personal Information:
• When required in response to a legal process or request from a competent authority according to applicable laws or in connection with a legal proceeding or process.
• When required as part of a merger, acquisition, sale of assets (such as service agreements) or transition of service to a Huawei group entity or another company.
• Should you win a prize, we process and provide your contact number and delivery address to our logistics suppliers to deliver the prize.
Sharing with third parties: We use PayU to offer you different payment options and should you wish to use PayU’s payment method, your personal details will be shared and handled in accordance with PayU. Your payment data will be shared between your payment providers, banks, other payment institutions or payment services to facilitate your payment.
Logistics services providers provide logistics services and process your Personal Information on behalf of us, under our instructions and in terms of protection of relevant Personal Information processing agreements.
Promotion or Competition verification providers provide verification services and delivery of Promotion or Competition gifts/rewards and process your Personal Information on behalf of us, under our instructions and in terms of relevant Personal Information processing agreements
5. What Are Your Rights and Options?
|How to exercise your rights?
|Right of access
|You can receive a copy of personal information we process about you.
|(1) Please log in, go to Me page then click your profile picture or nickname to Account center to access your account information.
(2) Please log in, go to Me page to access your Contact details, order information, community participation information.
(3) You can exercise your data subject rights here.
|Right of portability
|You can receive certain data that you have provided to us in a machine-readable format.
|You can exercise your data subject rights here.
|Right of erasure
|You can have your data erased under certain conditions.
|(1) Please log in, go to Me page then click your profile picture or nickname to Account center to delete your account information.
(2) Please log in, go to Me page to delete your Contact details, community participation information.
(3) You can exercise your data subject rights here.
|Right of rectification
|You can have your inaccurate data corrected and incomplete data completed.
|(1) Please log in, go to Me page then click your profile picture or nickname to Account center to correct your account information.
(2) Please log in, go to Me page to correct your Contact details, community participation information.
(3) You can exercise your data subject rights here.
|Right to object
|You can object to processing of your data to certain purposes such as direct marketing.
|Please log in, go to Me page then click Settings, and close Analysis and improvement.
You also can exercise your right of objection rights here.
|Right to restrict processing
|You can restrict processing of your personal information under certain conditions.
|You have the right to request for restriction of processing of your data here under the following scenarios:
The accuracy of your data is contested by you, and we need a period to verify the accuracy of your data.
Your data is unlawfully processed but you do not want to erase it.
You have a legal claim that you need to establish, exercise, or defend, and you requested us to keep your data when we would not keep it otherwise.
Your request for objection is pending our verification.
|Withdraw your consent
|You can withdraw consents to the processing of personal information based on your consents.
|You can exercise your data subject rights here.
To contact our Information Officer, or for any questions or complaints about the processing of your personal informationby Huawei, please click here.
In addition, you have the right to file a complaint with your local data protection authority, or any other competent authority.
6. How Do We Update this Statement?
We encourage you to regularly check for the latest version of this Statement on our official website as we may update it from time to time. If we make material changes to this Statement, we will notify you using an appropriate method, such as through a notification dialog box, notification message on your device, email, etc., depending on the nature of the change.
The most current version of this Privacy Statement will be available here. You can check the "Last updated" posted at the top to see when this Privacy Statement was last updated.
IMPORTANT: This Privacy Statement applies to My HUAWEI only. For our privacy commitments in relation to other products and services, please see the applicable Privacy Statement of those products and services. If you want to learn more about Huawei's privacy commitments in general, please read our Huawei Consumer Business Privacy Statement.