The data controller for this website is HUAWEI TECHNOLOGIES AFRICA (PROPRIETARY) LIMITED, a company incorporated in accordance with the laws of South Africa, with its registered office located at Huawei Office Park, 124 Western Services Road, Woodmead, Johannesburg (hereinafter referred to as “Huawei”, "we", "us" or "our").
We understand the importance of your privacy. Please take the time to read this Privacy Notice carefully to understand how we will use your personal data.
This website is not intended for use by children under the age of 18. If you are aged under 18, you need your guardian to agree to your use of this website and agree to relevant terms thereof.
This statement describes:
1. What data we collect
We may collect and process the following personal data about you, depending on the types of services you use on this website:
(1) HUAWEI ID account information: If you log in using your HUAWEI ID, the username, email address, phone number and profile picture registered with that HUAWEI ID account will be shared with us by a Huawei affiliated company Huawei Services (Hong Kong) Co., Limited, who is the data controller of your HUAWEI ID.
(2) Contact details: Name, email address, phone number and postal address, to contact you and, as necessary, to arrange store appointments and device delivery / collection, service supports and communicate with you for your inquiries.
(3) Order and delivery information: Name, email, phone number, product(s) ordered, delivery address, billing address and invoice details. To process your order, we will generate an order number and delivery number, and the delivery company will generate a tracking number.
(4) Payment information: such as cardholder name, card number, expiry date, SMS verification code and CVV code. We do not retain sensitive payment information such as CVV code. To process your payment we will generate a payment number.
(5) Device details: device model, details of damage / fault, date of activation, IMEI number, serial number, proof of purchase.
(6) Customer services information: your contact details, and a record of your Huawei Support query by email, live chat, webform, My Huawei App, hotline or social media direct message.
(7) Community Participation information: any information related to your Huawei Community membership and this includes: your nickname, membership experience (EXP) rewards history, membership vouchers assigned to you, posts, comments, likes, shares, private messages, votes and any other ad hoc information you provide in participating in membership reward activity or a competition or event on our Huawei Community page, including date of birth, identity information, your entries submitted via third party social media platforms in relation to promotions promoted and administered by the Huawei Community etc.
(8) Service usage information: IP address, search keyword, click activities, URL / pageview path, page access time, cookie ID / session ID.
2. How we use your data
On the basis of your consent, we process the following data for the associated purposes. Unless otherwise stated in this Statement, you will no longer be able to enjoy the relevant service(s) if you refuse the collection and processing of your personal data for these services.
(1) HUAWEI ID log-in: if you choose to log-in using your HUAWEI ID, we process your HUAWEI ID account information to provide logged-in services. The HUAWEI ID, profile picture and nickname associated with your HUAWEI ID, will be displayed in your posts, messages, comments, likes and your other engagements in the Huawei Community. If you do not wish to log-in with your HUAWEI ID, you can use the website and make purchases as a guest.
(2) Online purchase and delivery: we process your order information and payment information to process your order, provide you with the invoice, deliver your items, and process returns. We do not retain sensitive payment information such as CVV code. In addition, when you purchase a Point-rewarding product, the system will generate Points based on your purchase amount. Your Points can be used to deduct a certain amount in your next order.
(3) Notify you: we process your email address to notify you when a requested item is in stock and available for purchase.
(4) Provide customer service including in-warranty repairs: to check whether your device is under Huawei’s limited warranty and repair in-warranty devices, as well as communicate with you regarding your repair, we process your device details and customer services information.
(5) Book and track repairs: we process your HUAWEI ID account information, order information, contact details, device details and customer services information to enable you to book and track your repair online or through our customer services, and to collect and deliver devices from and to your home address or selected collection point.
(6) Huawei Community membership reward or if we conduct prize promotions or competitions on Huawei Community, your personal data is processed for prize promotion or competition terms and condition). Within the reward program, prize promotion or competition we only process the data you provide for the prize promotion or competition or that is necessary for the procedure of the prize promotion or competition. This concerns in particular: user profile to determine the winner, contact details to transmit the prizes (e.g. name, address and e-mail address) and any additional information relevant to the prize promotion or competition (e.g. age, exclusions, previous participations, your entries submitted via third party social media platforms in relation to promotions or competitions promoted and administered by the Huawei Community etc.).
(7) Customer inquiries: we process your HUAWEI ID account information and customer services information to assist you with your questions and queries, orders, returns, troubleshooting, FAQs, and all other customer inquiries.
(8) Store appointments: we process your contact details to schedule an appointment for your store visit.
(9) Huawei Community participation: we process your HUAWEI ID account information and Community participation, if you participate in our Huawei Community, including entering any prize promotions or competitions.
Your uploaded content will be pre-screened or scanned for potential content which is illegal, obscene, abusive, threatening, harassing, intimidating, hateful defamatory, objectionable, indecent, vulgar, pornographic, sexually explicit, offensive in a sexual, racial, cultural or ethnic way, inaccurate, deceptive, false, misleading, fraudulent, invasive of privacy, infringing of intellectual property rights, or otherwise harmful to third parties, or containing software viruses or any form of spam.
(10) Fraud prevention and monitoring: we process your HUAWEI ID account information, order information, payment information, information about returns and device information to ensure payment security, detect and prevent theft, fraud, financial security hazards and malicious network attacks.
(11) Comply with law and regulation: we process your personal data to comply with applicable law, including accounting, tax or reporting obligations, or in response to requests from regulators.
(12) Business analysis and improvement: we process your order information, payment information and device information to measure and improve our services, to forecast stock management, for accounting analysis and to settle invoices from our suppliers.
(13) Marketing: with your consent, we process your email address and / or phone number and cookie data for marketing purposes, including customer satisfaction feedback surveys.
If we have obtained your email address and / or phone number in connection with the sale of goods or services, we may use that email address for direct advertising of our own similar goods or services.
You can object to the use of your personal data for marketing purposes at any time. For further details how, please see Section 5: Your rights and choices. You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time, without affecting the lawfulness of processing based on consent before your withdrawal.
You can object to the use of your personal data for data analysis purposes at any time. For further details how, please see Section 5: Your rights and choices. You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time, without affecting the lawfulness of processing based on consent before your withdrawal.
Additionally we may process your personal data as necessary to comply with legal obligations, including tax and accounting requirements, and to establish or defend our legal rights and/or to prevent, detect and pursue potential fraud attempts or cyber-attacks.
(15) You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time, without affecting the lawfulness of processing based on consent before your withdraw.
3. How long we retain your data
We will not retain your personal data longer than is necessary to provide you with our goods and services and to fulfil the purposes as set out in this Privacy Notice. This comprises in particular the following retention periods:
(1) HUAWEI ID account information: We retain your HUAWEI ID account information until you deregister your account, until the service is suspended or your account is terminated for any other reasons.
(2) Contact details: We retain your contact details for up to 24 months from the date of your last contact with us.
(3) Order information:
We retain order information and payment numbers for a period of 10 years from the date of transaction for the purposes of after-sales services, and legal compliance to tax, and financial-related laws or regulations. We do not retain your payment information with sensitive nature, such as CVV. If you deactivate an account or voluntarily delete an order during the data retention period, we reserve the right to retain these transaction records in the background until the end of the above retention period.
(4) Device details: We retain your device details for 24 months from the date of your last contact with us or in conjunction with your HUAWEI ID account information during your registration. Device and application information, such as the device name, device identifiers (ESN, MEID, and SN), device activation time, hardware model, OS version, application version, software identifier, and device and application settings (such as region, language, time zone, and font size).
(5) Customer service information: We retain your customer service information for up to 24 months from the date of your query, in order to be able to assist with your ongoing and recent enquiries.
(6) Chat record, email content and hotline record will be retained for up to 180 calendar days from the date of your last contact with us.
(7) Posts, comments, likes, private messages and votes on our Huawei Community are retained until you close your Huawei Community account or otherwise delete or withdraw the contribution.
(8) Huawei Promo information: information of promotion / claiming recipient (including name, phone number, post code, shipping address, email address, billing address, billing name), and based on which, we will process and verify your claim for the promotion gift / reward and proceed to action delivery of the promotion gift / reward will be retained for a period of 2 years.
(9) Service usage information: we retain your service usage information for 2 years.
In relation to each of the retention periods above you can specifically request for earlier deletion by exercising your rights of objection and erasure under Section 5: Your rights and choices. Requests will be handled in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
4. Do we share your data?
(1) Disclosure, transfer and storage of your personal data outside of the Republic of South Africa:
Your personal data generated during your visit to our Platform will be transferred to, processed and stored in Singapore by Huawei’s affiliate on behalf of us and under our instruction.
Disclosure with our affiliate
To conduct verification and conduct business analysis, the order information, device information and delivery information will be transferred to, processed and stored in China by Huawei’s affiliate on behalf of us and under our instruction and the protection of data processing agreement. Your data relating to your community activities will be transfer to Huawei Services (Hong Kong) Co., Limited for forum environment maintenance purposes.
To conduct service maintenance and business analysis, the necessary personal information will be transferred to, processed and stored by Huawei’s affiliate in Malaysia on our behalf under our instruction and the protection of data processing agreement.
To control Payment risk, the payment risk related data, including device information, network information, account information, order information and payment information will be accessed remotely by Huawei Device Co., Ltd. in China and transferred to Malaysia and Singapore for storage. All such data is processed for the payment risk analysis only and would not be stored in China.
Disclosure with our suppliers
To respond to the customer inquiries and deal with order related services, your personal information will be transferred to, processed and stored by our suppliers located in the Republic of South Africa and Singapore on behalf of us and under our instructions and the protection of relevant data processing agreements.
We procure suppliers, including Zendesk and Webpower, to help with the dissemination of the electronic communications. Your personal information will be transferred to, processed and stored by our suppliers in the European Union on behalf of us and under our instructions and the protection of relevant data processing agreements.
We use Google Firebase for data analysis and electronic communications. Your device information and service usage information will be transferred, processed and stored anonymously in United States of America by Google on our behalf.
EDM email for User survey or Marketing, Your personal data will be processed and stored by them in European Union.
(2) Disclosure of your personal data within the Republic of South Africa:
Disclosure with our suppliers
Our payment service providers, partners or other issuer banks provide you with payment related services on behalf of us, under our instructions and in terms of protection of relevant data processing agreements.
Logistics services providers provide logistics services and process your personal data on behalf of us, under our instructions and in terms of protection of relevant data processing agreements.
Promotion verification providers provide verification services and delivery of Promotion gifts / rewards and process your personal data on behalf of us, under our instructions and in terms of relevant data processing agreements.
(3) Disclosures related to legal requirements
We may share your data in response to a legal process or request from a competent authority based on an applicable law or in connection with legal proceeding or process.
Your data may also be disclosed as part of merger, acquisition, sale of assets (such as service agreements) or transition of service to a Huawei group or other company.
(4) Commercial reorganization:
Your personal data may also be shared as part of a merger, acquisition, sale of assets (such as service agreements) or transition of service to a Huawei group or other company.
5. Your rights and choices
|Your right||Description||How to exercise your rights?|
|Access right||You can receive information and a copy of personal data we have collected and stored about you.||(1) Please log in, go to My Account / Account page then click your profile picture or nickname to User Center to access your account information. You can access your order information, address information, subscription information, and forum information on My Account / Account page. You can click the shopping cart icon to access your shopping cart.
(2) You can exercise your data subject rights through "Privacy Inquiries ".
|Portability right||You can receive certain data that you have provided to us in a machine-readable format.||If you need to obtain a digital copy of your personal data:
(1) You can exercise your data subject rights through "Privacy Inquiries".
|Erase data||You can have your data erased under certain conditions.||(1)Please log in, delete order information and the information of recipient for frequent use on My Account / Account page.
(2) You can exercise your data subject rights through "Privacy Inquiries".
|Rectify data||You can have your inaccurate data corrected and incomplete data completed.||(1) Please log in, you can click Profile on My Account / Account page to edit your account information. You can click Addresses on My Account / Account page to change the information of recipient.
(2) You can exercise your data subject rights through "Privacy Inquiries".
|Manage your consents||You can withdraw consents to the processing of personal data based on your consents.||(1) If you want to unsubscribe from the electronic communications, in the email you receive, please click the link for un-subscription. You can also go to My Account / Account page then click Subscriptions for un-subscription.
(2) For notification of WEB / WAP, please go to browser setting page to withdraw your consent in the respective browser; For notification of APP, please go to Account page to withdraw your consent.
|Object processing||You can object to processing of your data to certain purposes such as direct marketing.||(1) If you want to object to the processing of your data for statistical, product improvement or sales and marketing purposes, please contact us through Privacy Inquiries
When making the request, please specify the scope of your objection and provide us with your device information if you are not logged in to the Platform and your email address or phone number if you did not login with your HUAWEI ID.
You can exercise your right of objection through "Privacy Inquiries".
|Restrict processing||You can restrict processing of your personal data under certain conditions.||You have the right to request for restriction of processing of your data through our "Privacy Inquiries" under the following scenarios:
•The accuracy of your data is contested by you, and we need a period to verify the accuracy of your data.
•Your data is unlawfully processed but you do not want to erase it.
•You have a legal claim that you need to establish, exercise, or defend, and you requested us to keep your data when we would not keep it otherwise.
•Your request for objection is pending our verification.
To contact our Data Protection Officer or Information Officer (IO), or want to consult our DPO or IO regarding general data protection, or if you have any complaint or query about how Huawei processes your personal data, please submit your query here.
You also have the right to complain to your local data protection authority.
6. How to contact us?
If you want to exercise your privacy rights, or have any privacy issues for which you need to lodge a privacy complaint with our Data Protection Officer (DPO) or Information Officer (IO), or want to consult our DPO or IO regarding general data protection, please visit our Data Subject Right Portal.
Our address: [Huawei Office Park, 124 Western Services Road, Woodmead, Johannesburg].
If you think that we are not processing your personal data in accordance with this Statement or the applicable data protection laws, you can lodge a complaint with your data
7. Updates to this notice
If we update this Privacy Notice, we will let you know in advance about any material changes that will affect how your personal data are processed, by emailing or otherwise contacting you directly.
The most current version of this Privacy Notice will be available here. You can check the “effective date” posted at the top to see when this Privacy Notice was last updated.
IMPORTANT: This Privacy Notice applies to this website only. Please note that your use of the social media platform may also involve data processing operations of the relevant platform and please refer to the data protection guidelines of the provider respectively. In addition, due to the nature of the Internet, contributions published by you on this or other pages of the social media platform are available worldwide. For our privacy commitments in relation to other products and services, please see the applicable privacy notice of those products and services. If you want to learn more about Huawei’s privacy commitments in general, please read our Huawei Consumer Business Privacy Statement.
Latest update: 20 June 2022