Unable to receive message notifications from third-party apps
|Unable to receive message notifications from third-party apps|
If you cannot receive notifications for messages from an app after powering on or restarting your phone, the app may not have started yet after the phone was restarted. Touch the app icon to start the app, and you will then be able to receive messages.
If you can't receive notifications for messages from a third-party app running in the background, or after the phone screen has been turned off for a while, refer to the following for troubleshooting.
1. Check whether your phone's system and app versions are up to date
- Go to HUAWEI AppGallery or the app's official website to update the app to the latest version.
Check for updates for your phone:
Open Settings, search for and access Software update or System update, and touch Check for updates. If a version is available, update your phone at your earliest convenience.
2. Check whether you have enabled the notification permission for your phone and app
- Enable the notification permission
Go to Allow notifications, and set the notification method (such as Gentle notifications or Sound, Vibration, Banners, Lock screen notifications, and Allow interruptions)., find the corresponding app, enable
- Enable notifications in the app
Go to the app settings and enable notifications.
Some apps will not push messages to mobile devices if you have logged in to the computer-based version of the app.
3. Check the network connection of your phone
- The network access permission of the app may be disabled
Open Phone Manager, go to , find the app in question, and enable at least one of Mobile data and Wi-Fi.
- You may have enabled Data saver
Open Phone Manager, go to (Smart data saver), and disable Data saver or Smart data saver. Alternatively, you can keep Data saver (Smart data saver) enabled, locate the app in the EXEMPTIONS list, and turn on the switch next to it.
- Enable Wi-Fi/Mobile data switch or keep mobile data enabled so your phone will automatically use mobile data when Wi-Fi is not available
- There is no Wi-Fi/Mobile data switch on phones running EMUI 9.0/Magic UI 2.0 or later. Your phone will always notify you when automatically switching to mobile data.
- EMUI 8.X: Open Settings, search for Mobile network/Mobile data, go to , and enable Switch to mobile data.
- EMUI 5.X: Go to
Once this feature is enabled, your phone will automatically switch to mobile data without notifying you when there is no Wi-Fi network. This may lead to additional data charges.
- Your phone may be disconnected from the network when it is in sleep mode. Enable Stay connected when device sleeps
- EMUI 9.X/10.X/11.X and Magic UI 2.X/3.X/4.0: Open Settings, search for and access Stay connected when device sleeps, and enable this feature.
- EMUI 8.X or earlier: Open Settings, search for Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep, and select Always. Return to Settings, search for and access Mobile network, touch More, and enable Mobile data always on.
4. Check whether you have granted the permission for third-party apps to run in the background
If an app is forbidden from running in the background or cleared from the background, there will be no notifications from this app.
- Allow the app to start automatically and run in the background
- Go to Manage automatically, and enable Auto-launch, Secondary launch, and Run in background. , find the app in question, disable
- For EMUI 5.X, this issue may also occur if Close apps after screen lock is enabled or Cleanup in Phone Manager has taken effect and cleared the app. You can go to to disable Close apps after screen lock and go to to deselect the app.
- Lock the app on the recent tasks screen
- EMUI 9.X/10.X/11.0 & Magic UI 2.X/3.X/4.0: Open the Recent tasks screen, find the app in question, and swipe down on the app preview. If a lock icon is displayed in the upper right corner of the app, it indicates that the app is locked. To unlock the app, swipe down on the app preview again.
- EMUI 8.X and earlier: Find the app preview on the Recent tasks screen and touch the lock icon, which will change from open to locked, indicating that the app is locked. To unlock the app, touch the lock icon again.
5. Check whether the power consumption optimization function is enabled
- You may have closed the app when your phone displays a Power consumption alert.
If this is the case, ignore the Power consumption alert for the app to continue running on your phone. You can also disable the Power consumption alert feature (only available on selected models) by performing the following:
- EMUI 11.0 & Magic UI 4.0: Power consumption alert cannot be enabled or disabled.
- EMUI 10.X & Magic UI 3.X: Power consumption alert is enabled by default and no switch is provided.
- EMUI 9.X & Magic UI 2.X: Go to Power consumption alert. or and disable
- EMUI 8.X: Go to Power consumption alert. and disable
- EMUI 5.X: Go to and verify that the corresponding app has not been selected. If it has been selected, deselect the check box and relaunch the app.
- You may have enabled Power saving mode and Ultra power saving mode
It is recommended that you go to Power saving mode and Ultra power saving mode.and disable
- Allow Ignore battery optimization
- EMUI 9.X/10.X/11.X and Magic UI 2.X/3.X/4.0: Open Settings, search for and access Battery optimization, touch the triangle icon, select All apps, find the app in question, and set it to Don't allow.
- EMUI 8.X & EMUI 5.X: Open Settings, search for and access Ignore battery optimization, touch the triangle icon, select All apps, find the app in question, and set it to Allow.
6. Check whether the Smart tune-up rule in Phone Manager has been updated
- Open Phone Manager, touch in the upper right corner, and enable Smart tune-up.
- Open Settings and search for and access Apps. Locate Phone Manager, then go to . Ensure your phone is connected to the network, then open Phone Manager. Wait until a score is displayed on the Phone Manager screen, then restart your phone.
The preceding operation will restore all the other settings for Phone Manager. It is advised that you configure the settings again afterwards.
7. Uninstall and reinstall the app and try again
- Uninstall any third-party phone managers
Third-party management apps may manage your apps based on their own rules. Check whether a third-party phone manager app is installed on your phone. If so, uninstall it or add the app to the list of trusted apps in the third-party phone manager app.
- Uninstall the app and install it again
Back up the data of the app and then uninstall it. Reinstall it from HUAWEI AppGallery or the app's official website and grant it all necessary permissions.
8. If the issue persists
If the issue persists, back up your data and take your device and proof of purchase to an authorized Huawei Customer Service Center for assistance.